Universal Services Practitioners help to improve the skills of parents and carers and enabling them to become the primary educators for their child. They support parents and carers by running programmes such as Home Learning, Learning through Play sessions and Bookstart. These programmes provide guidance to parents and carers on how to interact with their child and school readiness, focussing on speech and language. They also raise awareness for Early Education Funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds and Early Years Pupil Premium. Universal Services Practitioners work in partnership with Strengthening Families Hub’s, Health Visitors and Schools.
- Jagdeep Sohal, or Dee for short, has been a Universal Services Practitioner for … years. She has worked for Wolverhampton City Council for the last 10 years, working in several different roles including as a Youth Development Worker and Educational Support Officer.
- Liz Lanchbury has been a Universal Services Practitioner for the last year. She previously worked in a similar role at Dove Strengthening Families Hub since 2006, as an Early Years Practitioner within the Nursery before moving into the role of an Outreach Early Years Practitioner working closely with the Family Support Team. Liz has qualifications in CACHE Level 4 NVQ diploma Children’s Care, Learning and Development and has a CACHE Level 3 NVQ diploma in Nursery Nursing (NNEB).
- Jessica Turner has been working as a Universal Services Practitioner for the last two years. Previously, Jessica worked in a School/Day Nursery setting for six years. She has qualifications in CACHE Level 2 and 3 diploma in Children’s and Young Peoples Workforce.
- Laura Gisbourne is a recent member to the Early Intervention team, previously working as an Early Years Practitioner within a Children’s Centre. She has also worked across several Day Nurseries across the city. She has qualifications in BTECH National Diploma in Early Years and NVQ Level 4 in Children’s Care, Learning and Development.
- Desho Chahal has been working for the council since 2004 working as an Early Years Practitioner and Outreach Worker. She has been in her present role for the last year. Desho has a NVQ Level 3 in Early Years and Education.
- Dawn Melis has worked in the Early Intervention team for the last 3 years. Previously, Dawn worked as a Toddler Development Worker for Staffordshire County Council, and delivered training to settings on various early years subjects. She is NNEB trained and has a PTTLS qualification.