Skip to main content
Wolverhampton Information Network

Educational Psychology

What does the service do?

The Educational Psychology Service applies psychological theory and research to problems and complex situations, and helps to meet a wide range of child and adolescent developmental needs, including special educational needs.

A psychologist is someone who is interested in how people learn; how people feel; how people think and how they behave. Educational Psychologists use their training and expertise in psychology to apply this knowledge in educational settings and with children and young people.

Educational Psychologists undertake a range of work aimed at promoting inclusion, psychological well-being and raising standards for children and young people aged 0 to 25 years, across the full range of abilities.

The Educational Psychology Service provides services including: advice about learning, behaviour, mental health, and emotional and social development; assessment of needs; and planned interventions to promote learning and support psychological wellbeing.

City of Wolverhampton Educational Psychology Service (EPS) includes qualified EPs registered with the Health and Care Professions Council, trainee EPs on supervised placements, and assistant psychologists.

Who can use the service?

We offer a consultation service to Wolverhampton maintained schools, academies and specialist settings, for example, where learning and/or development is giving significant cause for concern despite early intervention. Parental consent is essential for our involvement. Agreement for involvement with children and young people is based on EPs’ professional judgment and consideration of agreed thresholds.

How do you access the service?

Referrals to Wolverhampton Educational Psychology Service are usually received from schools or other educational settings. If you think that you or your child should be supported by the EPS, you should contact the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at the school, college or nursery.

How are people who use the service involved in decisions and kept informed?

Parents and carers will be involved in the assessment and planning process, usually by meeting with the educational psychologist and other staff at the educational setting. We sometimes visit children and parents/ carers at home. Where it is helpful, we will write a report about our involvement with a child or young person. We can arrange for an interpreter where it is necessary.

How do I give a compliment or make a complaint about your service?

We welcome feedback about our service. To give a compliment or make a complaint, please contact:

  • Dr Robert Hart – Principal Educational Psychologist
  • Dr Elaine Perry – Senior Educational Psychologist
  • Dr Gail Bailey – Senior Educational Psychologist
  • Dr Huw Williams – Senior Educational Psychologist.

Educational Psychologists are registered with the Health Care Professions Council.



Who to contact

Contact Name
Dr Robert Hart
Contact Position
Principal Educational Psychologist
01902 550609

Where to go

Inclusion Support: Educational Psychology Service
Alfred Squire Road Office
Woodhouse Fold
West Midlands
WV11 1XU

Other Details


Age Ranges
All Ages Apply

Record Last Updated on: 06/12/2018

Back to top