Skip to main content
Wolverhampton Information Network

Specialist Learning Support

What does the service do?

Our service is made up of teachers who are very experienced and specially qualified in special educational needs (SEN). We are all passionate about promoting inclusion and supporting children and young people who may find school difficult. We work with children, parents/carers and schools to raise the attainment of children and young people with SEN, allowing them to achieve as much as possible in their education. We give advice on what a child needs to learn or practise and how parents/carers and school staff can help them. We support school special needs coordinators (SENCos) to ensure that they are following the SEND Code of Practice. Click here to view.

All schools and academies across Wolverhampton can buy our service.

Who can use the service?

We can support your child if he/she attends a school that buys our service. If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should first discuss this with his/her class teacher and/or the school SENCo. They may feel that a referral to our service would be helpful.

How do you access the service?

If a school wants support from us to help your child, they will discuss this with you. We always obtain parent/carer agreement before we work with a child and keep you informed along the way.

Usually we can see a child in school within a few weeks of receiving the referral.

If your child has an education, health and care plan, if appropriate, it may be possible to agree on the involvement of our team. This could be anything from annual monitoring and advice to regular teaching. We usually arrange our meetings in your child’s school, so that school staff can attend as well, but we can arrange to see you at home or at our office in Wednesfield if you prefer.

How are people who use the service involved in decisions and kept informed?

We put children and young people at ease by explaining what our work will involve, why we are doing it and what will happen next. They always have opportunity to ask us questions. You can obtain a copy of any reports that we write from school and can discuss the findings with school staff or us directly. If necessary, we can arrange for a translator to help you understand any part of the process and you are welcome to bring along a friend or relative if it would help you feel more comfortable.

Schools can give feedback about our service at any time via They are invited annually to do this.

How do I give a compliment or make a complaint about your service?

If you have any feedback, whether good or bad, you can contact Margaret Renshaw the team leader; see below.

After talking to Margaret, if you are still not happy you can make a complaint to the Head of Service, Robert Hart, Principal Educational Psychologist.

Tel: 01902 555256

You can also make a formal complaint via the council’s general complaints procedure as detailed on the website

Who to contact

Contact Name
Margaret Renshaw
Contact Position
Specialist Teacher Team Leader
01902 555934
07387 236522

Where to go

Inclusion Support Service
Alfred Squire Road
West Midlands
WV11 1XU

Other Details


Age Ranges
6- 10 years
11-15 years
16-18 years

Record Last Updated on: 27/02/2019

Back to top