Barnardo’s Short Breaks are commissioned by the Wolverhampton Local Authority to provide Short Break for children and young people with disabilities. This will give them an opportunity to spend time away from their parents, relaxing and having fun with their friends in a safe and well managed environment. This in turn provides families with a break from their caring responsibilities giving parents/carers a chance to unwind rest or spend time with other children.
Barnardo’s deliver high quality, accessible groups for children and young people with varying disabilities. With our experience, knowledge and skills we are able to deliver positive outcomes for children and young people. We combine this with local partnerships and services to develop creative and innovative outcomes for young people in our groups.
Key outcomes for young people and their families are :-
Increase Social Inclusion – We help build social networks and develop healthy relationships through regular activities.
Provide a Range of Activities – We encourage children and young people to lead active lives and give them the opportunity to experience new activities. We increase their presence in the local community by accessing local projects and using local activities e.g. bowling and cinema.
Develop independence, life skills and knowledge – Our group activities will include programmes to support and develop life skills, e.g. money management, first aid, personal safety and road safety. All of these will increase self-confidence, self-esteem and independence.
Improve Family/carer Lives – Regular sessions at weekends and during school holidays provide families and carers with a real break from their caring role. Families/carers are able to rest, pursue other interests or spend time with other family members. This adds to family resilience and prevents breakdown of families and caring groups.
“they are brilliant , not sure what I would have done without them” – Parent
Barnardo’s believes strongly in co-production with children and young people who attend our group sessions, together we develop, design and assess the programmes of activities in order to provide them with the activities they want and need.
These activities include arts and crafts, team building games, group discussions, sports, toys, and themed days, and community based activities and outings.
Barnardo’s Wolverhampton Activities in the Black Country does not require an assessment from the Disability Children and Young People’s Team.
Children & Young people in Wolverhampton are eligible for Barnardo’s short breaks if they have a learning and/or physical disability; or where it is assessed that their needs in terms of challenging behaviour/mental health issues can be met only through the input of specialist services.
Our eligibility for services is based on the following principles :-
- To promote the health, safety and wellbeing of children and young people with disabilities, ensuring they can participate in family and community life. Have fun with their friends and make decisions about their lives.
- To prevent family crisis, through the provision of the right level of support at the right time
Our service will have a fair and transparent referral, allocation and review process based on clear eligibility criteria. We will consider key safety measures during assessment and allocation of places.
We will focus our referral, assessment and review system to :-
- Respond to individual needs and ensure we have activities and services appropriate, focused and suitable for ages and abilities and wanted by young people.
- Keep accurate data and reports on each individual’s access to holiday and weekend activities to offer a fair and transparent service to as many young people as possible
- Record and share the outcomes and achievements of children and young people to ensure we allocate provision appropriately.
- Liaise with the commissioners of any demands and/or capacity issues as they arise.
The service is for people who live in the borough of Wolverhampton and we are unable to provide a service for those outside of this Local Authority.