Skip to main content
Wolverhampton Information Network
Concerned about something or somebody? Logo

Concerned about something or somebody?

Safeguarding Adults

CALL: 01902 551199

Safeguarding Adults
is a process which aims to stop people who are unable to protect themselves from being harmed or exploited. These people are known as “adults with care & support needs”.

Some of the people who might be considered to be at risk are:


  • with a learning disability
  • with a physical disability who need help from others.
  • with mental health needs.
  • who misuse alcohol or drugs.
  • who might be considered vulnerable for other reasons (e.g. because of language, culture, isolation).


  • People who care for another adult and who may themselves be being abused.
  • Older adults who need help from others.

Anyone can abuse and sometimes the abuser is also an adult with care & support needs, so both may need support. For additional information please refer to the Related Services, Downloads and External Links section of this page.

There are several different categories of abuse:

  • Physical: anything which causes physical harm such as hitting, pushing, shaking or over medicating.
  • Psychological or emotional: including shouting, swearing, threatening or bullying in a way which makes the person feel afraid or humiliated.
  • Financial: includes taking money from people without consent or improper use of their money or property. This can include what is known as “mate crime”, where someone pretends to be someone’s friend in order to abuse them.
  • Sexual: any sexual activity that a person does not understand or does not want, including being made to look at or listen to things they do not understand or want.
  • Neglect: not being given the help, support or treatment needed including food, drink or medical care.
  • Discrimination or ‘Hate Crime’: abuse based on a person’s race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation or faith.
  • Institutional: when a person’s personal needs are seen as less important than the smooth running of a care environment or there is repeated poor care through neglect or poor practice.
  • Forced marriage and honour based violence: may fall within safeguarding if the victim is an adult with care & support needs
  • Domestic Abuse: may fall within the safeguarding procedure where the victim is considered to be very vulnerable.


What do I do if I am worried for myself or another person? 
If you think someone is being abused, it is important that you tell someone.

You can contact the Adult Social Care team and tell them your concerns. If you don't want to do this, talk to someone you trust. This might be a doctor, a care worker, a nurse, a social worker or a police officer but could be anyone.

Throughout the whole process, the views and wishes of the person at risk will always be listened to and respected and nothing will be done which will make matters worse for them.

Back to top