Zebra Access is a local Deaf-led charity based in Wolverhampton dedicated to ensuring that all Deaf, Deaf-blind and Hard of Hearing people enjoy equal participation and access without communication barriers by delivering accessible services, activities, campaigns and events across the Black Country and surrounding areas.
The Community Fund has enabled Zebra Access to offer the following services FREE OF CHARGE:
- Generic Advocacy (drop in sessions and 1 to 1 appointments) – i.e. supporting people filling in PIP/DLA/EHCP/Benefits forms, providing support at tribunals, making complaints, giving impartial advice and guidance, reporting Hate Crime, and the list goes on.
- Employment Support and Job Club - (drop in clubs, workshops and 1 to 1 sessions available) providing specialised and holistic employment support in CV writing, cover letters, how to apply for jobs, interview role plays, Access to Work support, confidence building, gaining new skills, getting into education/training/volunteering/jobs and much more.
- English & Maths Tutorials - bespoken tutorials either done in one to one or group settings delivered in BSL.
- British Sign Language and Deaf Awareness training (up to Level 2) - this can be class based, via video call or home visits for parents/family members/neighbours of a Deaf, Hard of Hearing or deafened person or non for profit organisation.
- Community Developments/Activities/Events - i.e. Council/Health Forums, building partnerships, supporting other community groups/organisation etc.
- Wellbeing service: Coffee mornings/afternoon teas, trips, health workshops and activities i.e. yoga, badminton and so on.
- Be-Friend scheme - where volunteers can give their time to provide company to isolated and lonely deaf people via face to face visits, video calls, text/video messages and letters.