Interfaith Wolverhampton (IFW), a registered charity established in 1974, seeks to promote dialogue, collaboration, understanding and community cohesion between people of different faiths and cultures. The group works closely with faith groups in the city, the council, university, police, health services and other bodies and organises a regular programme of events and activities.
The main goal of IFW is to dispel hatred and misunderstanding through dialogue and friendship between people of different faiths and cultures. We bring communities together through annual events. We arrange visits to different places of worship both within Wolverhampton and in other cities.
All our activities are inspired by our mission to provide education aimed specifically at nurturing and disseminating knowledge and understanding of the rich diversity of religious beliefs and practices within the City of Wolverhampton with the purpose of supporting community cohesion through dialogue and collaboration on specific projects. In particular, we:
- Work closely with statutory and voluntary organisations to pre-empt and respond to instances of inter-faith tension within the City
- Act as the prime referral point for any matters relating inter-faith issues
- Respond to requests for information from members of the public
- Organise visits by schools to different places of worship
- Arrange RE days in schools on different faiths
- Provide training on faith customs and traditions for statutory and non-statutory organisations which deal with people from different faiths
- Hold monthly ‘Bring and Share’ lunches, led by a different individual, to discuss how our faith affects our lives
- Hold an annual conference on a particular topic (Forgiveness, human rights etc.)
- Arrange social and cultural events where people of different faiths can meet and talk
- Arrange an annual pilgrimage to local places of worship
- Arrange an annual coach trip to more distant places of worship
- Arrange an annual interfaith Prayer service
- Organise an annual Holocaust Service on behalf of the Mayor’s Office
- Publish a quarterly newsletter
If you feel that we could assist you why not give us a call or email us direct. We also seek volunteers. To find out more about us, please get in touch or visit our website for more information.