Skip to main content
Wolverhampton Information Network

Help for Childminders

Running a childcare provision involves a variety of considerations and issues, along with caring for the children you look after.

If you have any questions or queries that are not answered by the following links, please contact your Quality and Access Officer.

For information on Tax and National Insurance, please visit the HMRC site:

HMRC also have a YouTube channel with useful videos: HMRC YouTube channel

HMRC also offers a free online training course for people running their own business: HMRC Learning Centre

If you require information about holding personal details of staff and children, then you can find out more information from the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) and the Data Protection Act 2006 on Registering as a Data Controller and the Data Protection Checklist for small businesses.

ACAS offers free and confidential advice for employers and employees in regards to legal and human resources related issues:

If you require information on employment contracts and working hours, visit the Government website at

For information regarding the National Minimum Wage visit the government website on

Ref: Ofsted

You’ll be inspected by Ofsted when you’re registered as a childminder or childcare provider. This is to make sure you’re meeting the requirements for safety and learning and development.

If you don’t meet the requirements, you’ll be told what you need to do to improve and when you need to improve by. When you’ll be inspected depends on which register you are on.

For further information please visit the Ofsted website.

Who to contact

Ofsted Advice for Childminders

Record Last Updated on: 11/05/2022

Back to top