The Patient Transport Service (PTS) service at the Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust is provided by West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) and ERS Medical Services. WMAS is commissioned by Wolverhampton and Dudley Clinical Commissioning Groups and ERS are commissioned by Staffordshire CCG's
Patients who have a medical need for ambulance transport and are eligible for the service can call the booking office.
Eligibility would be assessed by the booking office staff and considered if you have a medical need that stops you from using private or public transport. The reason the criteria is in place is to ensure that resources are utilised in the most efficient and cost effective manner.
You are entitled to transport if you:-
- Need to travel lying down or require continuous oxygen or other medical gases
You will also be considered if you have no alternative means of transport available and you:-
- Need to travel in a wheelchair
- Have a psychiatric or learning difficulty which presents you from using public transport
- Have a medical condition that would compromise your dignity or cause public concern if public transport was used
- Cannot walk without the continual support of another person or walking aid
- Experience unpleasant side effects as a result of your medical treatment which prevents you from using public transport
Financial help is also available under the Hospital Travel Cost scheme for patients who do not fit into the eligibility criteria and claim certain benefits.
Patients can claim if they receive:-
- Income Support
- Tax Credit
- Job Seekers – Income Based
- Disabled Persons Tax Credit
- Employment & Support Allowance – Income Based
- Guaranteed Pension Credit
- Low Income Certificate HC2 or HC3
- Asylum seekers for who support is provided under Part V1 of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- Children 16 or 17 being supported by a local authority
- Patients living permanently in a care home or accommodation provided by a local authority
- Persons named on a current HC2 or HC3 certificate
For further information please get in touch with the service.